Deciding to upgrade to AOL DSL is a very bad idea. When I got my package through the post I set it up the way the guide said, and it kept disconnecting, installing it on my laptop with nothing on but WinXP it worked perfect, then installing Sygate onto the laptop it disconnected, thus finding out AOL has issues with Sygate Firewall, then pissed off needing a firewall I resorted to the free one AOL offer to download. So I went into One on One live chat for help :) it was very interesting

WSMINNDatt: Welcome to Member Help Interactive. Please present your
question, and I will be with you in just a moment. :)
WSMINNDatt: Thank you for calling in to Live Help!! I may be with some other
members at the moment, please state your query and I will be with you as soon
as possible :-)
TOM3784: using Sygate Personal Firewall Pro with AOL 9.0
WSMINNDatt: Can you give me more information please?
TOM3784: when i have SPFP running it won't let me connect to AOL 9.0 i have
allowed all the corrent .exe to use the internet and it still cuts me off
WSMINNDatt: Are you on broadband?
TOM3784: yes
WSMINNDatt: alright.
TOM3784: k
TOM3784: how do i make it work ?
WSMINNDatt: surely just a moment please.
WSMINNDatt: Actually i need to tell you with aol at times it happens that
other than macfee the firewalls doesnt work smoothly with aol as it doesnt
make a combination
WSMINNDatt: I have a resolution for this concerned of your
WSMINNDatt: Just a moment please.
WSMINNDatt: Actually as you said you are on broadband i need to tell you as
your internet conections gets disconnects inbetween just beause may be
physically aol broadband has not installed properly
TOM3784: it is...i have tried it on computers that arnt running sygate and it
works
WSMINNDatt: Thats what i said earlier
TOM3784: i would rather use sygate..as its a reliable firewall
WSMINNDatt: Iam really sorry iam repeating my words again ctually i need to
tell you with aol at times it happens that other than macfee the firewalls
doesnt work smoothly with aol as it doesnt make a combination
TOM3784: nvm ill change isp

By the looks of it, AOL one on one help people are made to be bias and tell you to use the products they offer and hardware.. such as the router, My dad has to buy a Thompson router cos it was the only one that worked with AOL DSL.

Overall, don't use AOL as an ISP :)

logic